Ready to find out more?
All Players and Parents must Review and Acknowledge.
Dear Capital Thunder Parents and Coaches,
Attached is the new USA Hockey & CAHA Concussion information page. All Players / Parents / Coaches must review this content.
Please select the highlighted link below marked Concussion Training to review and complete the 2019-2020 concussion awareness training. Once you have completed the training please click on Concussion Awareness Forms link to complete the mandatory forms for Coaches / Players / Parents or Guardian
Apple and Android apps for your mobile devise
CAHA Concussion Information Page
Changes to Concussion Legislation in California
CAHA is proud to have been a leader within USA Hockey by establishing statewide concussion protocol five years ago. Since that time, the Pacific District has adopted concussion protocol in all its affiliates, and USA Hockey recently added a concussion acknowledgement requirement to its online registration process for all members.
The State of California has also implemented concussion protocol that now expands from the original high school sports legislation to recreational youth sports organizations under Health and Safety Code 124235 (chapter 516). All CAHA member associations – and all CAHA members – need to be aware of these requirements for the upcoming season.
2017 CAHA Concussion Changes Letter (20170620)_Tom Hancock.pdf
• Parents/Guardians: Concussion education must be provided, and an annual acknowledgement must be signed. This is already in place.
• New! Coaches: One-time concussion education is mandatory, and proof of completion must be provided to the Association prior to participation. *The USA Hockey CEP and coaching modules meet the education requirement. The CAHA annual acknowledgement must still be signed.
• New! Association Administrators: One-time concussion education is mandatory, and proof of completion must be provided to the Association prior to participation.
The recommended online course is through the Centers for Disease Control at this link:
**Send the completion certificate to your association registrar (or other designee) when completed**
• New! Athletes: Providing annual concussion education is mandatory, and receipt by the athlete must be acknowledged with a signature, prior to participation. This requirement can be met in a number of ways, and will be managed by each association at the start of season participation.
• New/Revised – Concussion Evaluation and Return To Participation Protocol:
An athlete who is suspected of sustaining a concussion or other head injury in an athletic activity shall be immediately removed from the athletic activity for the remainder of the day, and;
• shall not be permitted to return to any athletic activity until he or she is evaluated by a licensed health care provider, and receives written clearance to return to athletic activity from a licensed health care provider.
• If the licensed healthcare provider determines that the athlete sustained a concussion or other head injury, the athlete shall also complete a graduated return-to-play protocol of no less than seven days in duration under the supervision of a licensed health care provider. The new USA Hockey concussion management program Return to Sport criteria has been added to the back of the evaluation and return to participation form.
Current Forms for the 2017-18 Season:
• June 2017 USAH PD_CA Concussion Clearance Form_Rev 2017.pdf
• June 2017 PD_CA_CONCUSSION PARENT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM_rev 2017.pdf(note: SCAHA members agree to this acknowledgement when signing an online Letter of Intent)
• June 2017 PD_CA_CONCUSSION COACH ACKNOWLEDGEMENT FORM_rev 2017.pdf
We are all responsible for athlete safety. Educating CAHA’s membership is also important - athletes, coaches, parents, managers, volunteers and leadership need to understand the importance of being able to recognize the symptoms of a concussion and to take the appropriate next steps.
2017 State of California Health and Safety Code 124235_Concussions.pdf
2017 education_one sheet_10U athletes.pdf
2017 education_one sheet_11-18U athletes.pdf
2017 education_one sheet_parent athlete signature sheet.pdf
Jan 5 newsletter_final approved.pdf
My Story Daniel Battaglia.pdf
CAHA Concussion in USAH Magazine.pdf
CAHA_Top Concussion Misconceptions rev 0117.pdf
Concussion Education_Heads Up_ Jan 2017.pdf
concussion fact sheet_coaches.pdf
concussion fact sheet_parents.pdf
For questions or more information: PDConcussion@gmail.com